Dancing is a powerful artform. It allows your body to translate internal feelings into physical expression. At Covey, we believe that everyone—regardless of physical ability—should be given the opportunity to learn how to dance. That is why we are proud to partner with a local nonprofit, Reflections of Grace Performing Arts School, to offer an accessible dance class: Dance 4 All Abilities!
Why Dance? 5 Benefits of Dance Classes for Individuals with Disabilities
- Freedom: Dancing gives you the opportunity to let loose and tap into your body’s natural rhythm. There’s no wrong way to dance—people of all abilities are free to move in their own way. Dancing highlights the beauty of individuality and uniqueness.
- Exploration: Dance allows you to explore your own strengths and talents through movement. If communicating verbally isn’t your strong suit, dancing shows you a new way to express yourself. Dance classes open a door to gaining new skills, stepping out of comfort zones, and expressing emotions that may be subconsciously suppressed.
- Socialization: When attending a dance class, participants foster a connection with one another through partner work and moral support. Dancers with disabilities are able to transcend verbal language and use movement as communication. Dance has the ability to express what words cannot.
- Empowerment: Dance creates a newfound sense of autonomy in those with disabilities. When in a safe space, such as an adaptive dance class, dancers feel empowered to move however they’d like without judgment.
- Health: Dance offers a holistic approach to physical, spiritual, and mental health. Not only does it require a great deal of physical endurance, but it’s also used as an outlet to work through emotional challenges. Dancing also helps to promote strength, coordination, and balance for people with disabilities, improving overall well-being!
For more tips on health, read our blog on Healthy Habits for Adults with Disabilities.
Above all else, dancing is fun. What better way to reap all of these benefits than to participate in something so enjoyable?
Join Covey for the Dance 4 All Abilities Recital
Over the course of eight weeks, Dance 4 All Abilities explored a variety of dance types and themes. Welcoming all skills and mobility levels, this class provided participants with a safe space to express themselves in new ways.
As Dance 4 All Abilities comes to an end, there will be a recital for participants to show their friends and family all they’ve learned! Come experience the power of dance!
When: Sunday, May 7, 2023 from 2:30pm – 3:30pm
Where: Oshkosh City Center
For those of you who did not get the opportunity to experience this spring’s Dance 4 All Abilities class, we will be hosting another session this fall! Follow us on facebook to stay connected and look out for dance-related announcements!